“Our music volunteers are responsible for shaping the sound of the station.”
Report To: WHBC Music Director
Music volunteers are instrumental to the WHBC programming department. Music Volunteers work closely with on-air personality to select music that will complement the format of each particular show.
Music Volunteers are responsible for researching and identifying music that is suitable for WHBC’s demographic of listeners. Music Volunteers can be tasked to do anything from conducting music focus groups (sometimes known as listening parties) to entering music into our Audio Vault database. Volunteers are expected to have a basic knowledge base of the music industry and where to acquire music.
- Leadership: Being self-motivated, being able to motivate others; understanding empathy; organizational skills; being able to take and give direction.
- Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Continuous Learning: Actively acquiring new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using resources available through WHUR.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of the team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Music Industry-Volunteers must know how the industry works and should be able to know to how to communicate with record labels to retrieve new music.
- Howard University Student Body- It is important to have a basic understanding of what students may or may not like to hear.
- Full-time validated Howard University student in good academic standing (2.75 GPA or greater)
- The ideal candidate would be a results-driven team player with a positive attitude.
- Must have excellent communication/listening skills with the motivation to meet client needs.